Sunday, February 8, 2009

Oh, The Horror! #23: Jaws


Yes, Jaws! Can you believe a few nights ago was the very first time I've seen this movie? And holy nuts was this just beyond awesome. Definitely one of the top horror flicks I've seen and it deserves all the hype it gets since the 30 plus years it's been out. Directed by Stephen Spielberg, this is a movie that just has you on edge and it's damn chilling and creepy. The beginning with the girl on the beach just vanishing into the water was definitely one of the best and creepiest intros to a movie I've seen. Starring late Roy Scheider as police chief Martin Brody, he has to team up with scientist Matt Hooper played by Richard Dreyfuss and shark hunter Quint played by Robert Shaw to protect beach-goers in a town in New England from a killer Great White Shark that spans to 25 feet. There's some complications due to the money hungry town mayor who refuses to shut the beach down due to losing tourists who come to celebrate the 4th of July. The characters are well done throughout the whole movie. You cheer them on and fear for life for them as Jaws just attacks whoever he deems suitable for a snack. And Jaws is terrifying. Definitely one of the scariest movie villains in history and the damn music by John Williams doesn't help alter that belief. Once that music plays, you get tense thinking, "Oh no! Get the f'k out of the water!" And every time I see a shot of the water I get scared. That's fantastic horror for you. And I cannot get into my head how this got a PG rating. Although not too gory except for one specific scene, this movie would be too frightening for kids and I can understand why many people at the time this movie came out refused to go to the beach again after this because I really don't know if I want to step into a beach again. And I love beaches. Damn you, Spielburg! I also have to mention how much I loved that scene of when Brody was dropping meat in the water and Jaws just peers up for a slight second and Brody just jolts up, face stiff and in fear. Amazing scene, one of my all time favorites now. Ha! "We're gonna need a bigger boat."



If you have not seen this movie yet, do so asap! It's a horror classic that has been praised continually for years and a few days ago I finally knew why. One of the best films I've seen and one that is generally damn scary.

No comments: